Part 11
It is Judge Henry Lakewood, just who she wanted, “Hi Henry, I was about to call you.”
“Hi Annabel, is everything alright? I drove past your office and saw it closed?”
“Oh, I closed for the week, maybe a little vacation, I have a couple things to talk to you about, Lunch tomorrow okay?” Annie hurriedly asked him.
“I can work it in if it is important, anywhere in mind?”
“Maybe Italian, what is the place we use to go when I worked for you?”
“Rapheala’s?”
“That’s the place, noon work?”
“I’ll make it work.”
“Thank you, see you tomorrow.”
Part 12
Ten long years since Annie had been to this restaurant, some things never change. Henry Lakewood is one of those things. He was always kind, but would stop you if you do not agree with him. Annie always loved and loathed this about him. He never thought Annie should go defense, but helped her any way he could. This was their first meal together since she resigned and he became a judge.
Annie was dressed comfortably, sex appeal did not mean anything anymore. The meal was quick, neither knew what to say.
Annie spoke first, “Henry, thank you for everything these past 15 years, I don’t know to say it, but I don’t think my offices are reopening anytime soon.”
“I can get you back with the DA if you need it?”
No, it isn’t that, I can’t explain it. I won’t be back I fear.”
“Did something happen?”
“No, I can’t explain it, I thought I had a way out, but there is no escaping it.”
“I’ll trust you, but I will always be here for you.”
“Thank you, as always, too good to me.”
You’re welcome Annabel. Should I get the bill like old times?”
“It is alright, I got it this once, I better get going.”
They parted ways for the last time.
Part 13
Annabel returned home from the restaurant, she was so confused by everything, two days left. She failed to notice the beat up can parked next to her drive way. She opened the door, unlocked? “Am I this out of it these days?” she asked herself out loud. Just as the door closed a dark figure injects her neck with a needle, the last thing she saw was a scar on a man’s chest.
___________________________________________________
Annie awakens, arms chained to the ceiling. The florescent light hums overhead. Time has passed, how much is left? The smell of mud and dried blood will the air.
Mumbling comes from the other side of the door. Pacing. Annie’s head throbs. “Is this my day to die? I thought I was ready, but I’m not. I want to live,” Annie thinks to herself.
The voice is by the door. The handle jiggles. Footsteps away.
Hours pass. Pacing and mumbling. Finally the door opens. Annie sees a man, skinny, long stringy hair, loose black t-shirt, a scar on his chest.
Annie asks herself, “Is this man Daniel-Edison Ath?”
Annie pleads for her life to no avail, this man is going to kill her.
A gun blast, all goes black.
Part 14
Annie opens her eyes. Standing in the hallway, a door slams further down the hall. Next to her is a door, open, her own lifeless body hangs from the ceiling.
“Good evening Miss Bradly, I am Daniel-Edison Ath,” states a man in a black suit standing behind her.
“Am I dead?” Annie askes, already knowing the answer.
“Yes, I am here to take you to the otherside, we will be joined shortly by Mr. Hearst and Mr. Blakely.”
“Where am I going?”
“I am sure you already know that as well.”
“Yes, right... Thank you for making it painless.”
“I did not kill you, or anyone. I am only here to ferry the souls.”
Oh, yes. That man killed me.”
A blast, the door down the hall blows off the hinges. Soon two men appear with Annie and Daniel-Edison. A well dressed but bruised man that Annie does not recognize, and a man with a scar on his chest that she realizes she knows all too well.
Daniel-Edison and the men talk. A bright light appears at the enf of the hall. “It is time, Daniel-Edison Ath calmly states.
The four walk towards the light together.
THE END
A will written, a life nearing its end. Loose ends tied up, the end is nigh. Annie sits in her garden, the flowers wilted, the grass turning brown, Fall is in full swing.
Coffee lots it’s taste days ago, counting down the hours.
Annie thinks out load now almost every thought, “Is this how it ends, alone in a garden? Maybe Ben was right, I need to go out with a bang.” Just as she finishes the thought her phone rings, it rings so rarely since she closed the office three days ago.It is Judge Henry Lakewood, just who she wanted, “Hi Henry, I was about to call you.”
“Hi Annabel, is everything alright? I drove past your office and saw it closed?”
“Oh, I closed for the week, maybe a little vacation, I have a couple things to talk to you about, Lunch tomorrow okay?” Annie hurriedly asked him.
“I can work it in if it is important, anywhere in mind?”
“Maybe Italian, what is the place we use to go when I worked for you?”
“Rapheala’s?”
“That’s the place, noon work?”
“I’ll make it work.”
“Thank you, see you tomorrow.”
Part 12
Ten long years since Annie had been to this restaurant, some things never change. Henry Lakewood is one of those things. He was always kind, but would stop you if you do not agree with him. Annie always loved and loathed this about him. He never thought Annie should go defense, but helped her any way he could. This was their first meal together since she resigned and he became a judge.
Annie was dressed comfortably, sex appeal did not mean anything anymore. The meal was quick, neither knew what to say.
Annie spoke first, “Henry, thank you for everything these past 15 years, I don’t know to say it, but I don’t think my offices are reopening anytime soon.”
“I can get you back with the DA if you need it?”
No, it isn’t that, I can’t explain it. I won’t be back I fear.”
“Did something happen?”
“No, I can’t explain it, I thought I had a way out, but there is no escaping it.”
“I’ll trust you, but I will always be here for you.”
“Thank you, as always, too good to me.”
You’re welcome Annabel. Should I get the bill like old times?”
“It is alright, I got it this once, I better get going.”
They parted ways for the last time.
Part 13
Annabel returned home from the restaurant, she was so confused by everything, two days left. She failed to notice the beat up can parked next to her drive way. She opened the door, unlocked? “Am I this out of it these days?” she asked herself out loud. Just as the door closed a dark figure injects her neck with a needle, the last thing she saw was a scar on a man’s chest.
___________________________________________________
Annie awakens, arms chained to the ceiling. The florescent light hums overhead. Time has passed, how much is left? The smell of mud and dried blood will the air.
Mumbling comes from the other side of the door. Pacing. Annie’s head throbs. “Is this my day to die? I thought I was ready, but I’m not. I want to live,” Annie thinks to herself.
The voice is by the door. The handle jiggles. Footsteps away.
Hours pass. Pacing and mumbling. Finally the door opens. Annie sees a man, skinny, long stringy hair, loose black t-shirt, a scar on his chest.
Annie asks herself, “Is this man Daniel-Edison Ath?”
Annie pleads for her life to no avail, this man is going to kill her.
A gun blast, all goes black.
Part 14
Annie opens her eyes. Standing in the hallway, a door slams further down the hall. Next to her is a door, open, her own lifeless body hangs from the ceiling.
“Good evening Miss Bradly, I am Daniel-Edison Ath,” states a man in a black suit standing behind her.
“Am I dead?” Annie askes, already knowing the answer.
“Yes, I am here to take you to the otherside, we will be joined shortly by Mr. Hearst and Mr. Blakely.”
“Where am I going?”
“I am sure you already know that as well.”
“Yes, right... Thank you for making it painless.”
“I did not kill you, or anyone. I am only here to ferry the souls.”
Oh, yes. That man killed me.”
A blast, the door down the hall blows off the hinges. Soon two men appear with Annie and Daniel-Edison. A well dressed but bruised man that Annie does not recognize, and a man with a scar on his chest that she realizes she knows all too well.
Daniel-Edison and the men talk. A bright light appears at the enf of the hall. “It is time, Daniel-Edison Ath calmly states.
The four walk towards the light together.
THE END
No comments:
Post a Comment