Part 9
Same place, same seats, same drinks.
So familiar, how many times has Annie been here? Ben always some kind of information. Negotiating prices.
So familiar. This time there is one difference, he life is on the line. The sarcasm is forced, the jokes fall flat. Less than a week left now, Ben is solemn this day.
“No, I’m ready I think. It is real, I accept it. How would you spend it?”
“I would do what I always dreamed, finish my last projects, go out with a bang.”
“You are the closest thing I have to a friend...” She trails off, a far to common thing for her now.
“Annie, I will do all I can.”
“If you ever find out who Daniel Edison-Ath is, even if it is too late, find out why please.”
“Okay, I will, anything else I can do?”
“No, I think I will finish my last case, it is bound to be a mistrial anyway.
“Judge Lakewood was always too nice to me, he saw too much potential in me when he was the DA... Wait, when this is over, protect him for me.”
“Okay, if you need anything else, please call.”
For the first time since they met, Ben left the table first. Annie sat back sipping her coffee. “Waitress,” Annie called”
Pointing to her name tag, “Christina,” she answered.
“Sorry, your full name?”
“Oh, Christina Johnson.”
“Miss Johnson, thank you for your kind service all these years.”
As she left Annie dialed a number on her phone, “Hello Jack?... Good... Yeah, I need to make a new document, I’m coming in, see you there.”
So familiar, how many times has Annie been here? Ben always some kind of information. Negotiating prices.
So familiar. This time there is one difference, he life is on the line. The sarcasm is forced, the jokes fall flat. Less than a week left now, Ben is solemn this day.
“Nothing I can do now, how would you spend you spend your last week?” Annie asked.
“Annie, we have time-”“No, I’m ready I think. It is real, I accept it. How would you spend it?”
“I would do what I always dreamed, finish my last projects, go out with a bang.”
“You are the closest thing I have to a friend...” She trails off, a far to common thing for her now.
“Annie, I will do all I can.”
“If you ever find out who Daniel Edison-Ath is, even if it is too late, find out why please.”
“Okay, I will, anything else I can do?”
“No, I think I will finish my last case, it is bound to be a mistrial anyway.
“Judge Lakewood was always too nice to me, he saw too much potential in me when he was the DA... Wait, when this is over, protect him for me.”
“Okay, if you need anything else, please call.”
For the first time since they met, Ben left the table first. Annie sat back sipping her coffee. “Waitress,” Annie called”
The waitress walked over, “Yes ma’am?”
“What is your name?”Pointing to her name tag, “Christina,” she answered.
“Sorry, your full name?”
“Oh, Christina Johnson.”
“Miss Johnson, thank you for your kind service all these years.”
As she left Annie dialed a number on her phone, “Hello Jack?... Good... Yeah, I need to make a new document, I’m coming in, see you there.”
Part 10
Annie walked into her office, just the same as left it a week ago, Jack was there waiting. “Hello Miss Bradly,” he greeted.
“Jack, I need you to draw up my will.”
“What?” Jack exclaimed.
“I just need it.”
Jack prepares the papers and starts the formalities, “I’m ready.”“Okay, give yourself 50 grand, the rest leave to Christina Johnson down at the Firecamp Cafe.” Annie smiled her first contemt smile in 10 years, “Jack, also, take the next week off, go somewhere on me.”
more to come...
No comments:
Post a Comment